Getting started (offline quick start)
Writing an iModel.js application requires the following software:
- Node.js (12.x LTS version)
- The installation also includes the
npmcommand line tool.
- This is the source code control system for the iModel.js repositories.
- Visual Studio Code
- This is the recommended editor and debugger for iModel.js applications.
- VS Code also supplies a GUI for working with Git.
The starter application is located in the desktop-starter repo on GitHub. It is an example of an Electron based application and comes with a sample snapshot iModel.
git clone https://github.com/imodeljs/desktop-starter.git
The app will open a pre-packaged offline snapshot iModel. You will likely want to use your own snapshot iModel. Follow the Create a snapshot iModel tutorial. Then open your snapshot by clicking the Home button and selecting "Open Offline Snapshot".
Desktop apps can also open cloud hosted iModels. If you do not have access to one, follow one of our tutorials to create an online iModel. Then open your online iModel by selecting "Open Online iModel" and logging in.
Open your snapshot iModel in the desktop-starter app by clicking the home button in the upper left and clicking "Select snapshot".
Last Updated: 25 February, 2021